Our Unusual Routine Sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our Unusual Routine Sandbox

Friends here for each other! Sharing common grounds... Something for everyone!

Amber ticker
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Our Unusual Routine Sandbox on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Our Unusual Routine Sandbox on your social bookmarking website

New plants

Go down 
+7
Sierasky
DOT
strawberricandle
Lulii
Shelly
Wrennie
elfenqueen
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
DOT
Welcome Aboard
Welcome Aboard
DOT

New plants - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New plants   New plants - Page 2 EmptyMon May 18, 2009 10:56 am

Nice waterfall and pond Elf. I love the ladyslipper too.

Have you thought of using a recycled bowling ball for the black pearl? Either find one in black or paint it and put coats of urethane on over that so that it lasts. I'm sure you've seen the ones with the glass beads caulked to them etc. You could do it anyway you wanted. Even put something in the water so it sets up out of the water. Not sure how the coating would hold up with the paint if it got wet all the time as urethane has to be redone every few years. I've bought quite a few of them at garage sales. Just watch out for the ones that have oil coming out of them. I have to figure out how to seal that one yet...lol. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
elfenqueen
Sandcastle Soul
elfenqueen

Character sheet
Game: 5
woodland nymph emerald: 5
creation: garden skill

PostSubject: Re: New plants   New plants - Page 2 EmptyMon May 18, 2009 11:20 am

Thank you DOT, Hey thats a good idea with the bowling ball, but your right about the water part...I would have to find a way to seal it...or find a large oyster to hold it. I was thinking about making something with cement...I'll add oyster to my planning list!! That would look so sweet out there. I'm liking your idea more and more.
Having been a bowler ~ I would think most of them have some oil, the more use the more oil. I guess you'd nearly have to submerge them in a poly, I don't know yet either.

But the black pearl I was hoping for would be Jacks ship, something to sail on the pond.
Back to top Go down
DOT
Welcome Aboard
Welcome Aboard
DOT

PostSubject: Re: New plants   New plants - Page 2 EmptyMon May 18, 2009 12:16 pm

Depends on the formula for the bowling ball resin itself. I used to work a chemical company and hubby still works there that...at the time....did the formulation for a specific bowling balls mfg. (no name mentioned). Some leach a lot of oil where some don't have any. All depends on what they put in the resin formulation. I like the idea of the oyster....great idea to make out of cement. You could do it over a large pile of sand inverted to get the shape of the shell inside, upside down so that you could make the outside look like a real oyster. Even imbed some real shells to look like it was from the sea. It'd have to be pretty thick or add some kind of rerod or chicken wire inside for strength so the ball wasn't too heavy. Probably have to take it out of the water for winter so it wouldn't crack though.

I've heard others on another club say they have contacts with friends at alleys that give them the old balls. Maybe you could get someone to give you an old light weight 8-10 lbs black one when they are done with it. That be perfect to start out with. If you want to put the glass beads on the outside, use the 35 yr. weatherpoof caulk and stick them on. You'll have to fill the holes that were drilled but what a neat project that would be and probably for very little money. Keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
elfenqueen
Sandcastle Soul
elfenqueen

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New plants   New plants - Page 2 EmptyMon May 18, 2009 12:36 pm

I had recently read about cement carving too. Such interesting ideas! First I'm going to try making some large mockrocks for the waterfall hill, I have been bring home styrofoam boxes from the health dept. they're really heavy duty...I can stand on them! They use them for transporting vaccines with dry ice. daves gardens has lots of info and photos of projects others have done...including a whole pargoda started with thick cardboard carpet tubes.
I can probably get a ball or two from our Saint Vincent DePaul Store..for free. Oh, of course there is mine in the closet, but I hope to bowl again some day and my mom bought it for me when I was 12....it's kind of special to me. . . lots of fond memories there!
Back to top Go down
DOT
Welcome Aboard
Welcome Aboard
DOT

PostSubject: Re: New plants   New plants - Page 2 EmptyMon May 18, 2009 1:04 pm

Would love to see the photos from Daves (I'm not a member). I have a few of the smaller styrofoam boxes from mom/dad's meds so I know what ya mean. They are really thick and nice. You'd almost have to do the clam shell in an open pile of sand to get it wide enough so the ball would fit in it.........you know you could almost make some kind of casting of a ball....push it into a pile of sand and make it out of cement. You might have to cast 1/2 first and then the other half attached to it. You could put styrofoam inside so it'd be lighter...all kinds of ideas...or just make a half one to sit in the shell like a real oyster. You are right that you shouldn't use your own bowling ball. That has too much sentimental value to it.
Back to top Go down
elfenqueen
Sandcastle Soul
elfenqueen

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New plants   New plants - Page 2 EmptyMon May 18, 2009 1:40 pm

I bought a 2 month membership for 5.00...just so as I could look into their Hypertufa and Concrete...so many recipies to make things with .....mixing concrete with perlite, sawdust and such to make them lighter in weight. And tons of projects....yes...even balls and spheres. leaf casting for birdbaths or stepping stones, totum poles...whole ponds made in rock form....beautiful! I wish I could share their photos here, but I guess they have strict rules on photo snatching. I tried to sent a photo to a friend and it just wouldn't allow the link.
Back to top Go down
DOT
Welcome Aboard
Welcome Aboard
DOT

PostSubject: Re: New plants   New plants - Page 2 EmptyMon May 18, 2009 2:18 pm

I just went there...some cool pics...saw the pergola. I think the ball out of hypertufa would dissolve in the water. It needs to be out of concrete alone. I love the leaves and stone planters. Very inspiring.
Back to top Go down
Lulii
Admin
Lulii

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New plants   New plants - Page 2 EmptyMon May 18, 2009 2:25 pm

elfenqueen wrote:
Lulii...I'll find a picture of my lady's slipper for you, to me.... it looks like a ballet slipper with laces untied.

Okay heres one kind~~ might even be the type I have
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/75369/
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/75371/
If she does very well, then I might think on getting her a friend...perhaps in pink?
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/63071/

Sounds like the one in the pond is a flag iris, maybe? I have those in yellow and their about ready to split. The dwarf purple with white sounds pretty, have a snapahot? I seem to remember Phyllis posting some photos~~way back when, but my mind's a fog today.
Most folks I know, won't split irises until after the current seasons bloom, are yours blooming now?
I would think they should be close.

yes, the lady slippers are very pretty! I think i need to get some!!

My iris's have not developed bud stalks yet, any of them. I seem to be a bit later on blooming than you. I don't have pics yet, but when they bloom I will take some adn post and if you want after they bloom I will share.
Back to top Go down
elfenqueen
Sandcastle Soul
elfenqueen

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New plants   New plants - Page 2 EmptyTue May 19, 2009 12:13 pm

Alright, I found these pic's also:

this is before the plants spring up, so you can see my design layout
[url=New plants - Page 2 Swanandrabbit005]

and my favorite photo of the bridge from two years ago.
[url=New plants - Page 2 July07onthe12th001-1]
Back to top Go down
DOT
Welcome Aboard
Welcome Aboard
DOT

PostSubject: Re: New plants   New plants - Page 2 EmptyWed May 20, 2009 11:38 am

Very nice work Elfy. bfly
Back to top Go down
Sierasky
Now Your Family.
Sierasky

Character sheet
creation: magic knowledge

PostSubject: Re: New plants   New plants - Page 2 EmptyTue May 26, 2009 4:12 pm

Wow, nice pics Elf! Isn't it amazing when the majority of your plants are perennials that your yard looks so empty in winter and then "poof" in spring everything comes back to life and your yard is transformed. I finally had to get some perennials that stay all year just so it looked like I had something in my garden in the winter.
Back to top Go down
elfenqueen
Sandcastle Soul
elfenqueen

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New plants   New plants - Page 2 EmptyWed May 27, 2009 10:12 am

Thanks girls, I know I love it!!!
That photo was taken in its first true season, I had put most of that together the summer before and put the last stone in the stream on my birthday Aug 17th, so most plants went in after that........I just went crazy!!! And this year.......oh this year, breathing hard already!!! This year is going to be plantastic!!! So many new plants~~ I bought the new form flower ~
Heucherella 'Sweet Tea' ~~ it is suppose to grow 20-24" tall and has orangish leaves with a redish vaining. And theres the night blooming water lilies. I had several swaps over at daves gardens too.
Back to top Go down
cg5071
Welcome Aboard
Welcome Aboard
cg5071

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New plants   New plants - Page 2 EmptyFri May 29, 2009 4:44 pm

love your gardens marie, so nice. good luck finding the black pearl,lol. so who is this jack guy? Smile
Back to top Go down
Texas Grass Hopper
Welcome Aboard
Welcome Aboard
Texas Grass Hopper

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New plants   New plants - Page 2 EmptyFri May 29, 2009 6:44 pm

Wow night blooming flowers, oh I new thing to look into for my watergarden, what are some of the best ones to use,.. I am going to have a couple diferrnt water gardens that I would really love to add some very colorful flowers too..
Back to top Go down
elfenqueen
Sandcastle Soul
elfenqueen

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New plants   New plants - Page 2 EmptyFri May 29, 2009 7:39 pm

Hopper~~~Will they be water gardens or will you be making some bog areas?

Hey Chris...the jack guy for me is a fella who once said..."don't fall in love with me, I'm a sailor that never stays in port"....I said " well give me a locket and call me Brandy"
Back to top Go down
Karen A
Admin
Karen A

Character sheet
creation: magic knowledge

PostSubject: Re: New plants   New plants - Page 2 EmptyFri May 29, 2009 8:20 pm

You guys have me intrigued. My yard is too small for anything like Elfs, or a water garden at all, but I can do barrels. Your photos are all gorgeous.
Back to top Go down
elfenqueen
Sandcastle Soul
elfenqueen

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New plants   New plants - Page 2 EmptyFri May 29, 2009 11:01 pm

places to go ~ things to do.... study

http://www.flower-gardening-made-easy.com/easy-water-garden.html

http://watergarden.com/tub/

Anything that holds water can contain a water garden ~
http://www.finegardening.com/design/articles/make-big-splash-with-tiny-water-garden.aspx

http://www.bbg.org/gar2/topics/design/2004su_pottedwatergarden.html

Container Water Gardening
A mini-aquatic garden in a tub or other container located close to the house on a deck or patio, can provide you with a unique gardening experience. Containers are a great way to try out the idea of water gardening without committing to a larger, more permanent pond. A container aquatic garden is a small commitment in terms of finances and labor. It doesn't require special aerators or filtration if set up and properly managed.

The Container
A container with a capacity of 15-25 gallons is practical. Many commercial containers are available or you might consider things like small kiddie pools, horse watering troughs, lined whiskey barrels or even old bathtubs. Remember that water weighs about 8 pounds per gallon, so be sure the location of your container will be able to hold the weight. Locate the garden so it receives a minimum of six hours of sun a day. Most aquatic plants need full sun. Some of the bog plants can survive in less. Less than six hours will decrease the blooming potential of aquatic plants. Choose containers with interiors that are dark in color. Dark green, charcoal or black colors are suggested because they give the container an impression of greater depth, discourage algae growth, and make algae less obvious when it is present. Stones and slate can be added for interest, but keep in mind that choosing dark colored rock will help discourage algae

Thats a good start....I just typed container water gardens ....in search
beach
Back to top Go down
cg5071
Welcome Aboard
Welcome Aboard
cg5071

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New plants   New plants - Page 2 EmptySat May 30, 2009 3:12 pm

i have one of the 30 gal horse troughs but havnt used it outside yet. originally it was going to overwinter our koi but the little boy who lived here overfed and killed them all. i think it cost around $25 dollars so not too expensive and we have extra fish pumps and filters from a tank. maybe we will give it a try again.

ok marie, say hello to jack for me.
Back to top Go down
elfenqueen
Sandcastle Soul
elfenqueen

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New plants   New plants - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 12:21 pm

Okay Chris...when I see him.

Well first off, I use my pond shelves and stream for refreshing potted plants still waiting to find a bed, although...if your pond is small you should take care not to use it this way for store bought plants because there maybe to much fertalizer in their soil and you wouldn't want that to leach out into a pond with fish...this may or may not kill them.

There are only two effective ways to remove the nitrates from water, water changes and plants. ummm or really expensive filter systems. If water changes can not be done on a fairly regular basis than plants can be the solution to keeping nitrates low. Plants can very effectively use/remove nitrates. Once the water has warmed enough in the spring for the plants to actively grow, they will begin to use the ammonia and the nitrate thus eliminating green water or the need for an UV filter. The whole principal of plants is balance. Each pond is its own ecosystem and one must find the number of plants to keep everything in balance.
The biggest argument against plants is that it is really hard to keep the water clean from the dirt from the plants. Growing the plants without dirt can solve this problem. Simply place the plant in a pot and fill the pot with larger rocks. Or try simply having the surface covered with rock or the rim of your pot above water level.

plants.....hmmm, what do I have?

In the pond....I have had water lettuce, a Royal fern, Water Hyacinth, Hornwort, tried flag iris and water lily from the lake. (beware anything from natural waters- they could be hosting anything...soak them in a bucket first for a few days to see what shows up, I for one do not enjoy the "normal" pond snail....great breeders those, they can over run your pond" also have brought home bloodsuckers during my first year, who, OF COURSE latched onto my goldfish and killed them) So Beware!

There are plants that like to keep their roots cooler, soil around the edge of your pond seems to remain cool and a bit moister.....

Around the pond and stream bank.....you'll see flag iris, ligularia, bugbanes, lungwort, mosses, astilbes, ferns, japaness iris, siberian iris, coralbell lime ricky and hosta limey lisa make their home together on a small rise overlooking the pond. Also meadow rue and unicorn reed/grass ~tho some of these are in mariemade *bogs to keep the dampness more consistant ~~~ oh and one beautiful lady slipper (she gets morning sun and shade the rest of the day).

*bog making.............you can have a bog anywhere! Dig up a hole the size you'd like your bog to be (but it is recommended that you make it so as you can reach all work to be done without walking on it) NOTE...a well made bog does not stink or sink! Once you've dug out the hole, place a water barrier lining into it~~~ I just used scrap tarpping. Then you want to mix your soil.....a mixture of 1/4 garden soil with 3/4 peet moss works very well, also~I placed the sod I cut into the bottom of the hole, grass side down. Oh and one side of the liner should be a few inches below ground level or have a few hole near the top for excess run off.
Also~ a bog can be made into your ponds edge....a shallow shelf can be filled with the bog soil mixture and the lining for the bog can have holes in the waterside to maintain moisture, use rocks or the such to hold the waterside/liner edge in place.

In the bogs....unicorn grass, ligularia, calla, elephant ear, voodoo bulbs, rodersia.

Did you know ponds are a great place to wash your dirty little hands in ?

Razz
Back to top Go down
Vine
Admin
Vine

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New plants   New plants - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 12:59 pm

The sailer said "Brandy, what a fine girl, what a GOOD wife you would be...but my life, my love and my lady is the sea..." beach castle
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New plants   New plants - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

New plants
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Unusual Routine Sandbox :: The Garden Bed :: Water gardens-
Jump to: