Our Unusual Routine Sandbox

Friends here for each other! Sharing common grounds... Something for everyone!

Amber ticker
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking digg  Social bookmarking delicious  Social bookmarking reddit  Social bookmarking stumbleupon  Social bookmarking slashdot  Social bookmarking yahoo  Social bookmarking google  Social bookmarking blogmarks  Social bookmarking live      

Bookmark and share the address of Our Unusual Routine Sandbox on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Our Unusual Routine Sandbox on your social bookmarking website

Share | 

Veggies for 09

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wrennie
Sandcastle Soul

PostSubject: Veggies for 09   Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:39 am

Anyone plant anything new for this years veggie garden? I got some rutabaga and parsnip seeds o try. Then I'll have the 'usuals'. Tomatoes, peppers, hot peppers, beans, cukes, garlic, onions, taters, eggplant, summer 7 winter squash. Herbs too. Cant wait for pickle season!!
Back to top Go down
Daylilyfanatic
Welcome Aboard
Welcome Aboard

PostSubject: Re: Veggies for 09   Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:46 pm

Hi, I'm growing spinach and arugula for the first time.
Back to top Go down
strawberricandle
Sandcastle Soul

Character sheet
Game: 5
woodland nymph emerald: 5
creation: garden skill

PostSubject: Re: Veggies for 09   Fri May 01, 2009 1:00 am

I would like to try some blueberries this year, if I get around to digging up a new plot for them. Otherwise, the same old for me this year. Im going to plant less now obviously there is no need for 12 tomato plants..hehe..so I will cut way back on how much I will plant and then maybe I will try something new, always wanted to try eggplant.
Course Im still several weeks away from planting anyway because the weather is still crazy here, still cold at night. We had a few really warm days, but it didn't last.

hugs, Nancy~
Back to top Go down
http://www.strawberricandlesandsuch.com
Wrennie
Sandcastle Soul

PostSubject: Re: Veggies for 09   Fri May 01, 2009 7:44 am

I've never tried to grow arrugula. Spinach is pretty easy. I have some of that in too.
Blueberries I didn't have luck with. Dug them up & gave them to my neighbor.
Back to top Go down
Daylilyfanatic
Welcome Aboard
Welcome Aboard

PostSubject: Re: Veggies for 09   Fri May 01, 2009 9:11 am

hi, This is only my second year growing vegtables so that explains why I have never grown spinach before This year it looks to be an easy crop to grow but everything is two weeks or more behinde shcedule becuse of a very cool start to spring. arugula looks to be a very easy vegtable to grow and it's ready for harvest in only 35 days so it's a quick one as well. Tomatoes eluded me last year and never produced but this year I'm trying again so we will see how they do.

DLF
Back to top Go down
Krisi
Admin

Character sheet
creation: gender

PostSubject: Re: Veggies for 09   Fri May 01, 2009 10:24 am

HEY DLF!!! How are ya buddy!?!?!

I do spinach every year. I love it...

I am doing the usuals... My neighbor wants Banana Peppers, so I am hunting for those seeds, But otherwise, I am off and running already. I have my plastic blanket out for when I need it too! LOL!
Back to top Go down
http://oursandbox.friendhood.net
Shelly
Sandcastle Soul

PostSubject: Re: Veggies for 09   Fri May 01, 2009 10:38 am

I am doing the usuals but I'd like to put a Strawberry patch in. Anyone grow Strawberries? Are they hard to grow, need any special conditions or treatment?

DLF, need any advice on maters feel free to ask.
Back to top Go down
Wrennie
Sandcastle Soul

PostSubject: Re: Veggies for 09   Fri May 01, 2009 10:41 am

Strawberries are easy if you start them as plants, not seeds. Never tried by seed. They like elbow room, good loamy soil. Critters & birds get more than I do.
Back to top Go down
babslighthouse
Friendly playmate

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Veggies for 09   Fri May 01, 2009 10:43 am

Not sure yet what dad and I are going to plant on the garden this year yesterday he tilled it up so not sure. The boys are going to have their own again in a small part of the yard so they are excited.
Back to top Go down
http://www.babslighhouse.net
Daylilyfanatic
Welcome Aboard
Welcome Aboard

PostSubject: Re: Veggies for 09   Fri May 01, 2009 6:08 pm

Hi, I checked on the spinach again today it's not growing as fast as the lettuce but it is really taking off.

Krisi, Hi I'm doing great we've missed youover at NHGC I guess you were busy working on this wonderful website of yours. Very Happy

Shelly I wouldlove more info on growing tomatoes. I've tried my best to learn as much as I can but I could always use more help.

wrennie I've had great sucsess with strawberries when I use bird netting.

DLF
Back to top Go down
dixiegalpa
Admin

Character sheet
creation: gender

PostSubject: Re: Veggies for 09   Fri May 01, 2009 6:42 pm

I think that I am just going to stick with the normal stuff...corn, sugar peas, tomatoes, peppers, green beans, pumpkins, and acorn squash...maybe spaghetti squash...just not sure yet...haven't been able to till up the garden yet. Hope to Monday or Tuesday.

Back to top Go down
moonfire
Welcome Aboard
Welcome Aboard

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Veggies for 09   Sat May 02, 2009 11:36 pm

The only new veggie I'm trying this year is cucumbers... I had no luck last year with them, hoping the new garden will be better.
Here's my layout this year... with my $37 raised bed!

I've got sprouts from everything but the carrots... supports are up for the beans and the peas now too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.moonfirephotography.wordpress.com
sharont
Sandcastle Soul

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Veggies for 09   Sun May 03, 2009 8:29 am

I have some bell peppers & tomatoes planted. They are in tiny pots right now so I am going to have to get some bigger ones. I dont have alot of room here at the apartment so I'm hoping I can make this work.
Back to top Go down
moonfire
Welcome Aboard
Welcome Aboard

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Veggies for 09   Sun May 03, 2009 12:55 pm

sharont wrote:
I have some bell peppers & tomatoes planted. They are in tiny pots right now so I am going to have to get some bigger ones. I dont have alot of room here at the apartment so I'm hoping I can make this work.

The first spring we were in our home, I planted EVERYTHING in containers, and had my garden on our 10x10 upstairs deck. It did wonderfully! I planted the tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets, and the peppers in a rubbermaid storage tote.
Back to top Go down
http://www.moonfirephotography.wordpress.com
sharont
Sandcastle Soul

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Veggies for 09   Mon May 04, 2009 8:18 am

Hey there kim. I dont even think my deck is 10x10. I do hope tho that my plants take. They have tons of sprouts in their tiny pots & I'm gonna have to transplant them soon. I hope they dont die out when I do.
Back to top Go down
Shelly
Sandcastle Soul

PostSubject: Re: Veggies for 09   Mon May 04, 2009 12:49 pm

Hi Sharon, tomatoes need a lot of room for root growth so plant them in the biggest containers possible, like Kim mentioned, 5 gallon buckets and make sure they have drainage holes. Use good soil, add your favorite fertilizer, and water well when you transplant and they should be fine. And, of course stake them when the get tall. You can transplant tomatoes when they have more than one set of leaves. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Texas Grass Hopper
Welcome Aboard
Welcome Aboard

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Veggies for 09   Mon May 04, 2009 10:57 pm

I have a little of everything planted... I have potatoes, every type of bean that I could find, squash, peppers, tomatoes, cabbage, corn, pumpkins. I am going to try other stuff, I have never done potatoes before.... I am so looking forward to harvest time....
Back to top Go down
strawberricandle
Sandcastle Soul

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Veggies for 09   Mon May 04, 2009 11:42 pm

I haven't even been able to get out and rake out the garden yet. We have a very short growing season. I try to plant by May 15th but sometimes it has to wait longer. We still have very cool nights. I know there is like a blanket thing you can buy to put over your seedlings but I can't afford that right now. Just do the best I can with what time I have.

This year I want to change my flower bed over to all perennials, too. Ive got so much work to do it isn't even funny! But, the weather has not been cooperating.

hugs, Nancy~
Back to top Go down
http://www.strawberricandlesandsuch.com
christy
Hello

PostSubject: Re: Veggies for 09   Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:39 pm

im doing a vegie garden this year, made it bigger! we got a bad frost after mothers day so lost alot. lucky i had a few plants still in the greenhouse n seeds. now im hoping they ripe before the fall frost comes. ugh
im growing the usual.
Back to top Go down
Texas Grass Hopper
Welcome Aboard
Welcome Aboard

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Veggies for 09   Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:12 am

I have gatherd from my garden. I got my fist pickings from it.. I got some tomatoes, cabbage, corn and some peppers picked... It was great to actully grow it my self... My hens are laying eggs also which is great cause my sister cant eat the ones from the store but she can eat the ones my chicken lay cause there are free ranged, I guess.. I am so very happy to be to able to do this, its always been my dream to have a farm/ranch.... Thank God for answerd prayers... Now we also broke ground on the house this weekend, I am really hoping to be in a house and out of this 26 ft. travel trailer by Oct...... Please keep praying on that....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Veggies for 09   

Back to top Go down

Veggies for 09
Page 1 of 1