Our Unusual Routine Sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our Unusual Routine Sandbox

Friends here for each other! Sharing common grounds... Something for everyone!

Amber ticker
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Our Unusual Routine Sandbox on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Our Unusual Routine Sandbox on your social bookmarking website

A little worried here in Houston...

Go down 
+7
2manycats
Tulip2
Shelly
Karen A
countrydreams
tweetypie50
pourfolkes
11 posters
AuthorMessage
pourfolkes
Admin
pourfolkes

Character sheet
Game: 5
woodland nymph emerald: 5
creation: magic knowledge

A little worried here in Houston... Empty
PostSubject: A little worried here in Houston...   A little worried here in Houston... EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 7:55 am

We have 2 schools closed by the Heath Dept. this morning because 2 students have, what they think is the swine flu. I am really concerned because with all my my and hubby's health issues, getting this would be disasterous for us. None of the stores have the face masks, all sold out, so I am sewing some just in case. Please keep us in your prayers.
Rita
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A little worried here in Houston...   A little worried here in Houston... EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 8:12 am

Hi Rita,
I feel for you girl. Some schools in our state have closed down for a week because some students have some signs of the illness. At the moment we are lucking out and no one has it, but it's only a matter of time.
Back to top Go down
pourfolkes
Admin
pourfolkes

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: A little worried here in Houston...   A little worried here in Houston... EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 8:15 am

Yes, I believe that too, Cecile. I think that it is going to get alot worse before it gets better. It is good that we, in the U.S. are at the end of the flu season, but who knows what this thing is gonna do.
Back to top Go down
tweetypie50
Friendly playmate
tweetypie50

PostSubject: Re: A little worried here in Houston...   A little worried here in Houston... EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 8:18 am

[b]Rita,

Thoughts and prayers going out to you and hubby....i really dont know too much about this flu yet.....i know its bad.....

But, God is with us ALL and HE will take care of us.....

luv ya
cindy
Back to top Go down
http://jesusgurl50.blogspot.com
countrydreams
Friendly playmate
countrydreams

PostSubject: Re: A little worried here in Houston...   A little worried here in Houston... EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 9:45 am

I will keep you and your hubby in my prayers..surely you have had enough lately????I always seem to get things in threes..then good stuff. lol... but you have had a wee bit more than that lately!!!we need to remind that guy upstairs to start dishing stuff out to other people and leave you alone.Have you heard if they have the vaccinations ready yet? I have heard that they were working on them. Is this a milder version than the one in Mexico? Or do we just have stonger immunities?
Back to top Go down
Karen A
Admin
Karen A

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: A little worried here in Houston...   A little worried here in Houston... EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 10:03 am

We've got two confirmed cases, and 1/2 dozen possibles from adults and kids just back from Mexico. Several schools are closed, our company told us if we don't feel well to stay home and if it feels like the flu, get to a doctor and contact our HR department so they can monitor other employees. They've banned travel to Mexico.

Don't forget - wash your hands, frequently, that's one of the ways that it's spread. Sing happy birthday while you wash - in order to get the germs off, you have to wash for 20-30 seconds - that's how long it takes to sing Happy Birthday.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A little worried here in Houston...   A little worried here in Houston... EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 10:24 am

I never knew that Karen, about singing happy birthday when you wash your hands.

One of the colleges here called all their students back from Mexico since they were down there for a trip. The thing I don't get is how did this get started in Mexico with the swine? What's the difference between Mexico's swine and ours?
Back to top Go down
Shelly
Sandcastle Soul
Shelly

PostSubject: Re: A little worried here in Houston...   A little worried here in Houston... EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 11:03 am

I heard on the news last night that the face masks do not work. The virus is so small it goes right through. Keep your hands away from your eyes, nose, mouth and wash them often. There is one confirmed case here and several others being tested with one school closed. Some areas of Mexico have very poor living conditions and little to no healthcare. It's their overall environment. Prayers to you Rita, your husband, and everyone not to get this!!!
Back to top Go down
countrydreams
Friendly playmate
countrydreams

PostSubject: Re: A little worried here in Houston...   A little worried here in Houston... EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 11:32 am

I am wondering now if Bran had it..he recovered and everything is fine now but he had a 103.5 temp and was sicker than a dog a week ago but the hospital was just concerned about it being strep and didn't even test for the swine flu. We didn't even think about it at the time.
Back to top Go down
pourfolkes
Admin
pourfolkes

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: A little worried here in Houston...   A little worried here in Houston... EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 3:48 pm

The masks may not provide total protection, but anything is better than nothing, especially if you wash it with some tea tree oil in the water.... plus using one prevents you from rubbing your nose and mouth, etc. You are soooooo right about eyes, nose and mouth. Also ladies I had something pointed out to me this week..... you go somewhere to eat, you wash your hands and what is the first thing you do when you get back? Grab the menu...be really careful.....

I am glad Brandon is okay, but make sure you watch yourself and family for any symptoms....

Last edited by pourfolkes on Fri May 01, 2009 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tulip2
Welcome Aboard
Welcome Aboard

PostSubject: Re: A little worried here in Houston...   A little worried here in Houston... EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 5:09 pm

We have it here in Alabama also and some schools have closed already. Will be praying for you and your family Rita, and for all of us.
((((HUGS))))
Mickey
Back to top Go down
2manycats
Welcome Aboard
Welcome Aboard
2manycats

PostSubject: Re: A little worried here in Houston...   A little worried here in Houston... EmptyFri May 01, 2009 4:48 am

I hope most of us are able to avoid the swine flu. It is caused by a flu in pigs crossing the barrier to humans. It is not common, but it happens. We have the same strain that they have in Mexico and the number of confirmed cases there are 159 and here it is 109. We are not far behind them at all. The border states probably will see more of it than the rest of us.

The masks are a good idea along with the tea tree oil. Anything is better than nothing.

As far as vaccinations......keep dreaming. They are working on it, but it takes a long time to do. They have to grow it in eggs. Not sure when they hope to have some ready, but it will take quite a while to get enough made to cover the population.

I am sticking with staying home, staying away from people and public places. If you must go out, carry a small bottle of the hand sanatizer with you at all times. This is just as good as washing your hands.

The Doctor's (tv show) did the whole Happy Birthday thing a number of months ago. It really does help keep your hands in the soap and water longer. If you sing it 3 times while you are brushing your teeth, then you will have a much nicer, much healthier smile as well.

Mary
Back to top Go down
dixiegalpa
Admin
dixiegalpa

Character sheet
creation: gender

PostSubject: Re: A little worried here in Houston...   A little worried here in Houston... EmptyFri May 01, 2009 7:10 am

I heard that it will take about a year for vaccinations to be available for the swine flu...or at least this strain...there is one from the 70's...but this one is different.

I learned the bday thing when I was in health occupations class. It really is a great way to do it.
Back to top Go down
pourfolkes
Admin
pourfolkes

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: A little worried here in Houston...   A little worried here in Houston... EmptyFri May 01, 2009 7:18 am

The thing that really irritates me about this whole swine flu thing is that, according to the drudge report, the CDC in Atlanta started experimenting in 2004 mixing human and swine flu viruses. Why didn't they start working on vaccines then and why would they be doing that to begin with??? Kinda makes me wonder if this whole thing was not engineered. Oh well... I think it is good that we are kind of at the "the end" or our normal flu season. Perhaps that will minimize the affects here. We will just have to wait and see...
Back to top Go down
dixiegalpa
Admin
dixiegalpa

Character sheet
creation: gender

PostSubject: Re: A little worried here in Houston...   A little worried here in Houston... EmptyFri May 01, 2009 7:33 am

Well, I do know that they said that the virus is different than the old one...so there is really no way to make sure that any vaccine they made would be just right for the strain that goes around. You really do have to make vaccines as new strains go around.
Back to top Go down
pourfolkes
Admin
pourfolkes

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: A little worried here in Houston...   A little worried here in Houston... EmptyFri May 01, 2009 7:40 am

Very true...
Back to top Go down
2manycats
Welcome Aboard
Welcome Aboard
2manycats

PostSubject: Re: A little worried here in Houston...   A little worried here in Houston... EmptyFri May 01, 2009 12:22 pm

If you check out the CDC website you will find that there are a number of mutations that have already taken effect with this outbreak. It is in New Zeland, Germany, Netherlands, Mexico, United States, and Canada. Wont be long and it will be in every country.

They were probably doing the mixing years ago to see if there was a way to attack it. We now have a few meds, but some of the strains are resistant to the meds. There is one med that seems to be effective on all of them. It should shorten the duration of sickness and keep it at a lower level so that you are not as sick with it, but this must be done within 72 hours of first symptoms. Remember, people are contagious 24 hours before they show any symptoms at all. Just keep washing your hands and do not touch you face at all.

Good health to all,

Mary
Back to top Go down
strawberricandle
Sandcastle Soul
strawberricandle

Character sheet
creation: garden skill

PostSubject: Re: A little worried here in Houston...   A little worried here in Houston... EmptyFri May 01, 2009 12:27 pm

there are three confirmed cases in Maine. But, nowhere near where I live, but closer to my daughter, she is worried because she has the baby who is only 6 months old. Brendan is out of daycare for the summer, so that should help.
Scary stuff!

hugs, Nancy~
Back to top Go down
http://www.strawberricandlesandsuch.com
2manycats
Welcome Aboard
Welcome Aboard
2manycats

PostSubject: Re: A little worried here in Houston...   A little worried here in Houston... EmptySat May 02, 2009 1:34 pm

Nancy.....tell your daughter to carry hand sanatizer where ever she goes. That way she can always protect herself and baby. I carry it with me all the time.

We have 2 confirmed cases down here as of last night. Still waiting on the test for the person in my county. It is not looking good, but at least this strain does not carry the gene that made the 1918 outbreak so bad. That is a good thing. Will be watching this closely as I would hate to see 1918 hit all over again. It is bad enough with the economy in the shape it is, don't need a super pandemic to top it off.

Mary
Back to top Go down
moonfire
Welcome Aboard
Welcome Aboard
moonfire

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: A little worried here in Houston...   A little worried here in Houston... EmptySun May 03, 2009 4:08 pm

My best friend (a nurse in Ohio) worked closely with a resident intern right before he was diagnosed with it. Her daughter was also sick, but the pediatrician said it was a sinus infection.
There are several confirmed cases here in WA, with several in King County and a few in Snohomish.
Fingers crossed none of us get it. I actually haven't gotten ANY strain of the flu since before Elijah was born - not since I worked in a hospital. Smile Hoping it stays that way!
Back to top Go down
http://www.moonfirephotography.wordpress.com
tweetypie50
Friendly playmate
tweetypie50

PostSubject: Re: A little worried here in Houston...   A little worried here in Houston... EmptyMon May 04, 2009 8:20 am

As of this morning,

2 schools in Hillsborough county which is about 45 min from here have closed due to this SWINE FLU.....they are not sure when they will be reopend.....

this is getting very nerve wracking.....

geeze going to the airport next monday to pick up my gfriend and her daughter who are coming from ny for a visit......

wonder what kind of precautions we should take.....
Back to top Go down
http://jesusgurl50.blogspot.com
sharont
Sandcastle Soul
sharont

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: A little worried here in Houston...   A little worried here in Houston... EmptyMon May 04, 2009 8:24 am

I haven't heard of any cases here in KY yet. They did say that a lady from SC came to visit here someplace & thought she had it & might have given it to a baby but they never confirmed it. I sure hope it slows down in spreading.
Back to top Go down
2manycats
Welcome Aboard
Welcome Aboard
2manycats

PostSubject: Re: A little worried here in Houston...   A little worried here in Houston... EmptyMon May 04, 2009 3:25 pm

Tweetiepie....not to worry, carry hand sanatizer and use it! Get a large bottle and a small bottle, refill the small bottle from the large bottle and keep that small one in your purse everywhere you go. We had a confirmed case here in Orange county as well. You do know that NY has had many more confirmed cases than we have down here? Just don't touch your face unless your hands are sanitized.
Good luck with it and you can always check out the CDC's website to see how many cases where and other precautions.

Go to this site for updated list of how many cases in each state: http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/

Mary
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A little worried here in Houston...   A little worried here in Houston... Empty

Back to top Go down

A little worried here in Houston...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Unusual Routine Sandbox :: Huggery Lounge :: Worries and woes-
Jump to: