Our Unusual Routine Sandbox

Friends here for each other! Sharing common grounds... Something for everyone!

Amber ticker
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking digg  Social bookmarking delicious  Social bookmarking reddit  Social bookmarking stumbleupon  Social bookmarking slashdot  Social bookmarking yahoo  Social bookmarking google  Social bookmarking blogmarks  Social bookmarking live      

Bookmark and share the address of Our Unusual Routine Sandbox on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Our Unusual Routine Sandbox on your social bookmarking website

Share | 

New plants

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
elfenqueen
Sandcastle Soul

Character sheet
Game: 5
woodland nymph emerald: 5
creation: garden skill

PostSubject: New plants   Sat May 16, 2009 9:51 am

coffee at pc
I've been dying to start this forum up and now I have something to report!

Although I bought them in a pot luck auction and don't have any idea what they will look like till they bloom.........I am proud to announce........my waterfeatures new addition is.......NIGHT BLOOMING WATERLILY. I am so so soooooo excited about this, I have wanted them for what seems like forever and probably could not have afforded them, but this pot luck....I snatched right up! Two new surprises for me and I only paided 16.00 for the pair ~~~~ WoooHoo happy dance

can't wait to take pics...but I guess I'll have to! They said it takes about a month to flower in 70 degree waters......so I started them in my indoor pond, little buggers have roots growing as we speak. cheering
Back to top Go down
Wrennie
Sandcastle Soul

PostSubject: Re: New plants   Sat May 16, 2009 9:54 am

Cool! Cant wait to see the blooms!
Back to top Go down
elfenqueen
Sandcastle Soul

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New plants   Sat May 16, 2009 10:04 am

Yeah....they showed several types that they could be...some rising 12" above the water. But they also said they could be crosses. Oh I don't care -- I love things that bloom at night!

LOL....Hey wren, I seen a bat flying in the day time a few weeks back. She circled me and flew off, I'll bet it had a quick drink from the pond...... hope she hangs around.
HA! I seen her before I seen a robin this year!
Back to top Go down
Wrennie
Sandcastle Soul

PostSubject: Re: New plants   Sat May 16, 2009 10:09 am

Cool! She'll eat lots of bugs! You got a bat house?
Back to top Go down
Shelly
Sandcastle Soul

PostSubject: Re: New plants   Sat May 16, 2009 10:26 am

Very cool, Elf, can't wait to see pics. I would love to have a water feature.
Back to top Go down
elfenqueen
Sandcastle Soul

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New plants   Sat May 16, 2009 10:30 am

Dying to get one.... Crying or Very sad but I is broken, Iosco is at a 20.5% unemployment rate...my son that lives with me is one of them, so now I'm making his truck payment on top of all the other bills. But I do think of them often (yours) and will keep wishing....someday for sure.

hello there Shelly................I recently found out that many water lilies will do just fine in a large pot or barrel. Also, that I should have many babies over the next winter ~~ so I have my fingers crossed for that to happen. I do so enjoy sharing with everyone I can.
Back to top Go down
Lulii
Admin

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New plants   Sat May 16, 2009 11:04 am

wow elf! I can't wait to see pics!

i have a new lily in my pond too, but its just a reg one. I did buy snails off ebay that are supposed to help keep it clean without all the chemicals and be able to survive our winters. I put them in yesterday. We'll see what happens.

I hope your bat hangs around!
Back to top Go down
elfenqueen
Sandcastle Soul

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New plants   Sat May 16, 2009 11:29 am

Congrats on your lily too, Lulii. Is it your first? How did you plant the tuber? Did you buy it as a kit? I was told to put mine in a clay soil (minerals they need) and plant it in a bucket with a few slots cut in the side to help the water keep the soil fresh. The grower does not recommend the baskets which come with most lilies as the norm. Snails and fish can get at the roots easier with them... causing much damage, perhaps even death of the plants. But mine is concidered a tropical, needing the 70 degree water and MUST be brought in, in the winter. If you have a hardy....?....the basket might be alright here, after all....plenty seem to thrive here in the wild.

good luck and I hope to see photos of yours too!

Have you tried the barley straw in your pond....that helps with algee too. I've never bought the pre made balls....wow they can cost...but just went to a farmers and bought a small bale...then took out oh so much and wrapped it in netting. Works good for me.
Back to top Go down
Lulii
Admin

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New plants   Sat May 16, 2009 12:37 pm

I have the hardy lilies, my pond is 5 yrs old and have had most of the same lilies in it since I built it. the original lilies are in the mesh type baskets in a gravel type soilm that is for water plants. they do pretty good in it. Although last spring when I cleaned out the pond, the lilie baskets had been tipped over and I have a mass of roots and lily rizomes about 18 inched by 2 feet or so! I broke it into pieces and repotted some and gave some away. They bloomed again last summer even after being disturbed, so they must be pretty Hardy. I have never tried the tropical lilies (yet)

i have used the barley straw extract, but the balls are soooo expensivie!!! I will have to try the straw wrapped in mesh. The problem I have is that most stuff i have to get off the internet cuz there is only one water garden store near and they are pricey!
Back to top Go down
elfenqueen
Sandcastle Soul

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New plants   Sat May 16, 2009 1:06 pm

No real watergarden stores around me either. oh a few plants here and there at the reg nurseries but they don't even know about the plants they have, so it's...remember what then go home and search the net to see if I'll like it. Tried the water hyathin (opps the spelling) someone gave it to me, it grew great....or greatly~ covering most of the water surface, decided I didn't want it, Heard later that it was invasive on lakes ~ I'll believe that!!!

extract? really ... I've never heard of an extract, is that expensive? Started thinking...I shoudl make my own little bundles of straw to sell, someones making a killing just filling hamster balls with barley straw.
Back to top Go down
Lulii
Admin

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New plants   Sat May 16, 2009 1:43 pm

lol, you make them and I could be your first customre!!! I got the extract at Menards, can't remember the price, i'll look when I go outside and let you know. I'm thinking about 13? could be wrong, but the bottle lasts me most of the summer.

Yes the hyacinth (sp) is invasive, but since its an annual we dont' have to worry. I have a marsh marigold i bought last summer and its blooming right now! i left it on the shallow ledge of my pond all winter.
Back to top Go down
Lulii
Admin

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New plants   Sat May 16, 2009 7:17 pm

sorry Marie, the price tag isn't on my barley straw extract anymore so i'm not sure what i paid for it.

Here is a of my pond i took a couple of years ago

and one of my waterlilys from last year

Back to top Go down
elfenqueen
Sandcastle Soul

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New plants   Sun May 17, 2009 11:17 am

SA~weet! How much sun does yours get? Mine is morning sun but mostly in the shade all day, I've wondered if I'm doing this right. I was thinking the lilies might need to be in the stream ~ where they would have more sun. My waterfall is in full sun and the stream drifts down to shade and pond...so I have options. Also, I have given some thought to trimming back the tree branches and opening up the pond to more light. Golly! Can you tell I want these to grow? can you ...huh...huh!

Hey, I threw those hyacinth in a kiddy pool over the winter with no water in there and I had survivors!!! You bought marsh marigold ? It's all over the sides of the roads here...I always thought to stop and bucket some up. Don't you just love how bright they are?
My newest arrival for around the pond is a lady's slipper, should be blooming any day now!
Now I have to learn how to post pics on this site.....and figure out where I'm going to download them....this isn't my computer (mine crashed last week).

Okay that did it ...got to get dressed and run out side....the lady was in bud yesterday, not sure how soon she will bloom or how long it will last!
Never mind, I ran out in my pj's and it's still a tight bud....few more days probably.

Well, I don't know why but, I have taken a shine to dwarf iris this year...so interested in them for edging things, exspecially the stream and pond! And the beauties I have seen on ebay .... makes my heart thump!
Back to top Go down
Lulii
Admin

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New plants   Sun May 17, 2009 10:02 pm

There are trees all around mine, but its more of lighter shade, not real deep wiht some filtered sun part of the time and part of the afternoon its in the sun. I have only had the hardy lilys, never tried the tropical ones, but it makes sense that the tropical ones may need more sun.

Ive never seen the marsh marigold around here, but i will sure be looking for it now! (with a bucket and shovel... idea )

I don't have a ladyslipper. is it a water plant or just in the area of your pond? sun or shade? hmmm, a new plant to investigate...

I have a few dwarf iris I got from phyllis in a game a couple of years ago, they are purple with some white, very pretty!! I have them in my raised bed, but i'm pretty sure I can split a bunch if you would like them. I do have a purple iris in my pond but its not a dwarf. well i don't think so anyways, its pretty dainty, but tall. it was given to me and i have no idea what it is except an iris.

I have 2 koi and several comets in my pond. the comets are orange and one of the koi is orange, black and white. the other koi is grey with white markings and kinda looks like he has a skeleton on his back.
Back to top Go down
strawberricandle
Sandcastle Soul

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New plants   Sun May 17, 2009 10:48 pm

what a lovely pond you have! Mike & I had plans to have one, too. Now, I probably won't bother, but I love looking at pictures of what you girls do. It's a talent to be able to grow just anything...and I don't have the patience or the skill you girls have.

Elf..Id love to see yours, too.

just lovely...

hugs, Nancy~
Back to top Go down
http://www.strawberricandlesandsuch.com
elfenqueen
Sandcastle Soul

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New plants   Sun May 17, 2009 11:46 pm

Viewing left from the bridge. Rocks of the waterfall are just barely visable ~center photo
*Note the bridge and white scroll/pedistial
https://2img.net/h/i51.photobucket.com/albums/f368/elfenqueen/elfs%20new%20season/july10-08090.jpg

*Note the bridge and white scroll/pedistial
Viewing to the right. The stream and a large part of the pond are shown
https://2img.net/h/i51.photobucket.com/albums/f368/elfenqueen/elfs%20new%20season/july10-08091.jpg

service bridge at mouth of stream/pond
https://2img.net/h/i51.photobucket.com/albums/f368/elfenqueen/elfs%20new%20season/july10-08033.jpg

Corner view/in pond~~N.E.corner
https://2img.net/h/i51.photobucket.com/albums/f368/elfenqueen/elfs%20new%20season/MichaelJ198.jpg

This one has my Monster walking across the service bridge
https://2img.net/h/i51.photobucket.com/albums/f368/elfenqueen/elfs%20new%20season/MichaelJ199.jpg

This is from the top of the waterfalls looking down to the bridge

https://2img.net/h/i51.photobucket.com/albums/f368/elfenqueen/elfs%20new%20season/july15-08081.jpg
Back to top Go down
Lulii
Admin

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New plants   Sun May 17, 2009 11:50 pm

absolutly beautiful! all of it!
Back to top Go down
strawberricandle
Sandcastle Soul

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New plants   Mon May 18, 2009 12:00 am

You have such a beautiful yard, so many beautiful plants and your waterfall is amazing. Even a bridge, I love it!! Something out of a magazine. You're one talented lady, Elf...
thanks so much for sharing.

hugs, Nancy~
Back to top Go down
elfenqueen
Sandcastle Soul

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New plants   Mon May 18, 2009 1:22 am

Hugger Thank you, I really love it and enjoy showing it off. This year will be even better, we're going into our fourth season. Yup, hard to believe 4 yrs back this land was nearly nekked....and the view from every window in the back of the house....oh yeah!

Here's a little clip of the falls~~ there is a small cave under the bottom ledge ...
elves, wizards, dragons, stars and glowlights are often seen in there
pssst...do you like to hear waterfalls
http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif&fs=1&os=1&ap=1

Last edited by elfenqueen on Mon May 18, 2009 2:12 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
strawberricandle
Sandcastle Soul

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New plants   Mon May 18, 2009 1:38 am

I LOVE your avatar, Marie. Is that you with Jack Sparrow??... Shocked

hugs, Nancy~
Back to top Go down
elfenqueen
Sandcastle Soul

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New plants   Mon May 18, 2009 1:46 am

Thats us...kinda big tho, isn't it!
Thanks again..idea ...we've been looking for a black pearl for the pond.

Last edited by elfenqueen on Mon May 18, 2009 2:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
strawberricandle
Sandcastle Soul

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New plants   Mon May 18, 2009 1:50 am

http://www.collectiblestoday.com/ct/product/prdid-917133.jsp?cm_ven=Search&cm_cat=MSN&cm_pla=Broad&cm_ite=black%20pearl%20ship&External=Y&mscbg=0&msclkid=7267b053f9f85344b5f47ee09d2a6b2f

wow...kind of a long url, but I found the black pearl from Disney...hope it works...it's kind of expensive and I didn't read too much about it, but it's a start...

hugs, Nancy~
Back to top Go down
elfenqueen
Sandcastle Soul

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New plants   Mon May 18, 2009 2:00 am

Oh Gosh thats beautiful...wish it could go in water.
But
Disney Pirates Of The Caribbean Collectible Black Pearl Ghost Ship Collection

Price: $59.95 US Each Issue
s&s: $ 8.99 US
Available for Express Ship
Available in 2 installments of $29.98 US

And....there's 2 issues, the ships in the second
Issue One with six fully sculpted figurines of the cursed crew, including Captain Jack Sparrow. It won't be long before the moon grows full and you receive Issue Two - the mighty Black Pearl Ghost Ship

They always get you don't they?
PIRATES!!!
Back to top Go down
strawberricandle
Sandcastle Soul

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New plants   Mon May 18, 2009 2:04 am

hehe...well, I tried. I will let you know if I find anything else! Have a good night, hon...

hugs, Nancy~
Back to top Go down
elfenqueen
Sandcastle Soul

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New plants   Mon May 18, 2009 10:36 am

Lulii...I'll find a picture of my lady's slipper for you, to me.... it looks like a ballet slipper with laces untied.

Okay heres one kind~~ might even be the type I have
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/75369/
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/75371/
If she does very well, then I might think on getting her a friend...perhaps in pink?
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/63071/

Sounds like the one in the pond is a flag iris, maybe? I have those in yellow and their about ready to split. The dwarf purple with white sounds pretty, have a snapahot? I seem to remember Phyllis posting some photos~~way back when, but my mind's a fog today.
Most folks I know, won't split irises until after the current seasons bloom, are yours blooming now?
I would think they should be close.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New plants   

Back to top Go down

New plants
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next